The Crystal Springs Water District is an Oregon municipal corporation operating under Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) to provide domestic water to residents in Hood River County.
The Crystal Springs Water Company was originally formed in 1930 when each customer purchased five shares of stock at $50 par value per share. Of the initial two thousand shares issued, the first certificate was purchased by J. J. Annala on October 13, 1930. This issuance of stock allowed the water company to cap the spring, build a reservoir and begin laying water main pipes throughout the district.
The Crystal Springs Water District was formed in 1963 when the privately-owned Crystal Springs Water Company was dissolved. The newly incorporated Crystal Springs Water District, through Hood River County, applied for financial assistance through the Federal Urban Planning grant program to develop an overall water supply plan to provide for future water needs of the District.
The 1963 plan recommended several improvements, which have been completed, including a new intake at Crystal Springs, two water storage reservoirs, pressure regulating facilities, and transmission mains. However, not all the recommended transmission mains have been constructed, particularly in the northern portion of the District.
During the spring of 1990, the District retained Lee Engineering Inc. of Oregon City to prepare a Water Master Plan which indicated several necessary improvements to the system.
In 2006, we updated our Water Master Plan and completed several of the recommended projects. Since that time, we’ve installed more than 82,000 feet of new pipe and invested more than $5.4 million in our system.
In 2015, our Water Master Plan was updated again, calling for immediate improvements throughout the district so that our community can have the capacity for future growth. These changes are documented in the Water Master Plan.